Have you ever wondered how the distinctive red and white stripes on the vests of members of Westville Athletic Club came about? Well, blame it on a bottle of ‘Lion Ale’ beer! While downing a bottle of Lion Ale, a group of ten enthusiastic runners made the suggestion that the red stripes on their new club vests be the same red as those on the Lion Ale label. Today, Westville Athletic Club in KwaZulu-Natal has grown into one of the most successful, respected and recognisable clubs in the country. – BY MICHELLE PIETERS
THE START OF SOMETHING SPECIAL
The club was formed by the following ten runners, all elite athletes, who trained together and all belonged to different clubs in the Durban area:
- Steve Atkins – Comrades gold medallist and member of the Gunga Din Trophy team. Steve’s mother made the first Westville running kit.
- Dave Green – Top ten Comrades finisher.
- Chris Hoogsteden – Top ten Comrades finisher.
- Norman Hosken – President of the Natal Amateur Athletics Association.
- Derek Kay – The world 100-mile track record holder.
- Richard Logan – A great all round sportsman.
- Derek Preiss – First in the 1974 and 1975 Comrades Marathon and member of the Gunga Din Trophy team.
- Dave Rogers – Comrades gold medallist and member of the Gunga Din Trophy team.
- Bruce Scott – A specialist in track and cross-country.
- Norman Wessels – Member of the Gunga Din Trophy team.